Homemade lip balm is not only cheap but also custom made to suit your own taste and needs. In this article, you will learn how to make personalized lip balms using easy recipes and ingredients such as coconut oil, honey, Vaseline and others. You will also lean easy steps to make custom homemade lip balm for kids.
- What is Custom Lip Balm?
- Personalized Lip Balm Flavors
- How to Make Your Own Lip Balm – Types of Homemade Lip Balms
- Homemade Beeswax Lip Balm
- Natural Homemade Lip Balm
- Homemade Organic Lip Balm
- Coconut Oil Lip Balm and Honey Lip Balm
- Homemade Vegan Lip Balm
- Homemade Lip Balm for Kids
- Homemade Lip Balm with SPF
- Easy Homemade Lip Balm Recipes
- Alternative Oils to Use in Your Easy Custom Lip Balms
- More Recommended Articles on Lip Balms
- Other Resources on Lip Makeup
- Please Click to Share
Custom lip balm is simply the type of lip balm cosmetic that you will make at home using a personalized recipe and ingredients that you can easily find at home. Custom lip balm made at home is not only cheap but also safe for use since some of the cosmetics today contain harmful elements such as lead.
Different types of custom balms include those made at home for kids, vegan lip balms, beeswax lip balms, natural lip balms, organic lip balms, coconut oil lip balms, lip balms with Vaseline, personalized lip balms with SPF and many others.
Personalized Lip Balm Flavors
Just like it is with nail polishes, face and body creams, there are different flavors that one can choose from when it comes to making homemade personalized lip balm flavors. The ingredients you use will determine the flavor of the end product. Some of the commonly preferred flavors include the following.
- Chocolate flavors
- Peppermint flavors
- Vanilla flavors of lip balm
- Lemon flavors of lip balm
- Spearmint lip balm flavors
- Spearmint lipbalm flavor
- Lime with citrus scent flavor
- Ginger flavors
- Clover spice flavor
- Cinnamon flavors
How to Make Your Own Lip Balm – Types of Homemade Lip Balms
Custom homemade lip balms will be of different flavors, types and other characteristics. When learning how to make your own lip balm at home, you will have to follow your taste more than anything else. Improvisation is the best way to go here because most personalized lip flavors vary from person to person. Below, you will find 7 different easy-to-follow recipes for making homemade lip balm.
Homemade Beeswax Lip Balm
Beeswax lip balm can be made at home with beeswax as the main ingredient. It is a common ingredient found in most lip cosmetics such as lip gloss, lip balm, lipsticks and even lip primers. One of the best brands of lip balm that uses beeswax, and is said to be natural lip balm is Burt’s Bees Balm. If you do not want to buy it, you can simply get beeswax and use it to make your own natural homemade lip balm from the ingredient. See how to make your own natural beeswax lip balm here.
Natural Homemade Lip Balm
There are commercially available natural lip balms, but when you want something cheap and easy to make at home, you can try easy recipes like the ones listed below. Coconut lip balms or honey lip balms are some of the common examples of natural lip balms there are today. Read below to see easy recipes for homemade lip balm that is personalized to your taste. One of the major advantage or characteristics of custom natural lip balms is that they are safe to use unlike most of the lip cosmetics containing lead. With a simple generalized recipe for organic and natural lip balm, you can make your own natural and personalized lip balm at home.
Homemade Organic Lip Balm
Like natural lip balms and vegan personalized lip balms, you can make your own organic lip balm with simple or easy recipes. All you need to do is to get good quality organic products and spices to use as ingredients in the process. We have looked at organic lip balm and how to make your own organic lip balm. Click the link to go to that page to learn of the easy recipe for making organic lip balm, its benefits and a lot more.
Coconut Oil Lip Balm and Honey Lip Balm
Coconut oil lip balm and honey lip balms can also be made at home with a simple recipe. However, most people who have tried this find that honey is not one of the best ingredients because it tends to separate from the oils you use in making custom lip balms.
- Coconut oil
- Cocoa butter
- Sweet almond oil
- Jojoba oil
- Castor oil
- Beeswax pastilles
- Cocoa powder
Here are simple steps for making lip balm with coconut oil and honey.
- Heat all the ingredients above in the desired measurements in a measuring cup made of glass.
- Use a double boiler to heat until all the ingredients melt well.
- Stir well to mix as you pour into your best lip balm tins.
Homemade Vegan Lip Balm
Homemade vegan lip balms are very good for those who look for lip-safe pigments in their lip makeup. This recipe for vegan lip balm will help you make a custom lip balm that will work well for your vegan cosmetic needs.
Ingredients and Ratios
- 4 parts of oil
- 2 parts of wax
- 3 parts of butters
These ingredients and ratios for making personalized lip balm for vegan enthusiasts will help you keep to the ratios when making small quantities of vegan lipbalms. What’s more – you can make your own tinted lip balm for vegans with a little twist or improvisation. Gather the following ingredients.
- ¼ cup of shea butter, unrefined
- ¼ cup of candelilla wax
- ½ cup of fair trade cocoa butter
- A cup of jojoba oil
- ½ tablespoon of vitamin E oil
- ¾ tablespoon of mineral pigment
- ¼ a cup of carnuba wax
- Organic flavor oil or essential oil
Steps to Follow
You should melt your waxes first as you mix them. Follow them with butter and then oils as you mix. Keep testing for consistency and thickness until you get the right measure as you heat. If you find that the mixture is too thick, add a little bit of oil, and when you find that the mixture is too thin, add a little more butter as you test. Some people choose to use castor oil in their vegan homemade recipes for lip balms. This will give a long lasting wear with wonderful consistency. When you achieve the right thickness, go ahead and put it into your lip gloss containers.
Homemade Lip Balm for Kids
Homemade lip balm for kids can be fun to make. In fact, you can spend some time with your daughter to make some for her, just as we did with the recipe for lip gloss for kids.
Easy Recipe Ingredients
- Crisco shortening
- A powdered drink mix such as Kool-Aid
Other than the ingredients for kids’ lip balm, you will need to have balm containers such to store in the homemade fruity balm. You can buy decorative lip balm tins from a craft store for this.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of Crisco shortening with one tablespoon of powdered drink mix in a mixing bowl. Ensure that you choose a bowl that you can put in a microwave.
- Ensure the mixture is smooth and well blended by stirring thoroughly.
- Put the bowl in the microwave, set to high and leave for about 15 seconds for the mixture to melt into a liquid.
- Remove from the microwave and fill your lip balm containers with it.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to make it firm.
Your kid’s lipbalm is ready for use. Note that if you use sweetened drink mix, the balm will be very nice for kids. But when you use the unsweetened type, it will produce a darker tint on the lips.
Homemade Lip Balm with SPF
You can make your own lip balm with SPF. This is the type of balm that will protect your lips from sun damage and eventually lip wrinkles and lines. Here are the ingredients you need to make homemade lip balm with SPF.
Ingredients for SPF Lip Balm
- Beeswax pearls, 1.50 oz.
- Avocado oil, 2 oz.
- Natural shea butter, 1.50 oz.
- An oz of cocoa butter
- Half a teaspoon of micronized titanium oxide white
- A teaspoon of vitamin E (as a preservative)
- 2 teaspoons of orange and vanilla flavor oil
SPF Lip Balm Recipe Procedure
- Melt beeswax in a pan over low heat.
- Add the chunks of cocoa butter as well as shea butter.
- Allow to melt and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add avocado oil as you heat through.
- Add vitamin E and then remove from the heating stove.
- Pour into a good lip balm container or tin.
Titanium dioxide white pigment is one of the known opacifiers used in the cosmetics industry. When making SPF lip balm at home, it give a satisfactory SPF factor to protect your lips from sun damage and formation of wrinkles on the lips.
Easy Homemade Lip Balm Recipes
There are plenty of homemade lip balm recipes you could try. We have seen several easy homemade balm recipes above, but to make a summary, you could easily try out different kinds of ingredients to make good quality balm for your lips. Easy homemade lip balm recipes can be for kids, for lip makeup with SPF, vegan ones and many others.
Alternative Oils to Use in Your Easy Custom Lip Balms
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Macadamia Nut Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Tamanu Oil
- Hemp Seed Oil
- Sesame Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Apricot Kernel Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Pomegranate Seed Oil
- Castor Oil
Most of the times, the ingredients you use will determine the type of easy homemade recipe for lip balm you will have. For instance, Vaseline is a common ingredient in most easy homemade lipbalm recipes, while coconut, honey, peppermint, cocoa butter or powder and such ingredients may all be optional.
Would you make your own lip balm? Leave a reply below.
More Recommended Articles on Lip Balms
- Best Lip Balm – With SPF, Moisturizing, for Dry Lips, Men, Organic, Chapped Lips and Reviews
- Lip Balm Tubes – Empty, Wholesale, Cardboard, Paper, Large, Eco & Mini Lip Balm Packaging
- Beeswax Lip Balm – How to Make, Recipe, Where to Buy Burt S Beeswax Lip Balm, Tins
- Lip Balm Containers & Tins – Pots, Empty, Wholesale, Small, Homemade, Clear Glass Packaging
- How to make Lip Balm – Best Recipe, with Vaseline, Beeswax, Honey, Coconut Oil at Home
- Organic & Natural Lip Balm – Best Brands, How to Make, Recipe, Homemade All Natural Lip Balms
- Tinted Lip Balm – Best, Natural, Red, Sugar, Burt S Bees Tinted Lip Balms
Other Resources on Lip Makeup
- Visit our section on Types of Lips to find out different types of lips and makeup tips.
- Guides on best lip gloss can be found in the Lip Gloss Section.
- Visit our Lipsticks Section to read more on lipstick colors and how to wear them.
- For guides on best lip balms, visit our Lip Balm Section.
- See More Interesting Finds on Lip Makeup.
Which recipe do you use to make homemade lip balm? Comment to share below.