Causes of Stretch Marks – On Breasts, Thighs, Teenagers, Legs, Stomach, Buttocks, Arms, Men, Scratching
- What are Stretch Marks?
- Causes of Stretch Marks
- What Stretch Marks Look Like
- Types of Stretch Marks
- Red Stretch Marks
- White Stretch Marks
- Stretch Marks on Stomach
- Pregnancy Lines
- Stretch Marks on Thighs, Arms, Breasts, Buttocks and Hips
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers about Causes of Stretch Marks
- More on Stretch Marks
Causes of stretch marks can be avoided to reduce the appearance of lines on your breasts, thighs, legs, arms, in teenagers, men and other parts of the body. Find out here what causes stretch marks in order to learn the best ways of preventing the causes and getting rid of stretch marks successfully.
- What causes stretch marks?
- How do we get stretch marks?
- Why do teenage girls get stretch marks on breasts, legs and thighs?
- Does pregnancy cause stretch marks?
- What are different types of stretch marks?
- Are red, purple, silver, white lines stretch marks?
What are Stretch Marks?
If you have seen stretch marks pictures, then you will agree that stretch marks are stripes or streaks on the skin, mostly on the abdomen. Depending on the causes of stretch marks, they can be white, red, pink or even purple streaks on the skin. Doctors call these fine lines on the skin striae distensae, or striae gravidarum when it is the case of pregnancy stretch marks.
Although most women get stretch marks on their abdomen – pregnancy stretch marks – it is clear that these streaks or marks end up on various parts of the body, for both men and women. Dermatologists recommend some of the best solutions such as Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy for removing and preventing these lines from forming, whether in pregnant mothers, teenagers or even men involved in bodybuilding. The following are common areas where the scars may appear on your body.
|Thigh stretch marks||Lower back|
|Stretch marks on the hips||Shoulder stretch marks|
|Breast lines||Stretch mark lines on the legs|
|Upper arms||Stretch mark scars on buttocks|
|Underarms||Stretch marks in teenagers|
Before we discuss the causes of stretch marks, it is important that you look at the stretch marks pictures in order to be able to identify the exact type of stretch marks you may have on your body. Let us get down to what causes stretch marks. Here, we will list the causes of stretch marks in a general sense before we get down to the specifics of the different types of stretch marks and how we get them.
Causes of Stretch Marks
The following is what causes purple, red, silver, white or colored marks on the body.
- It came as a surprise to me too, that stretch marks can also be genetic. A director of the University of Miami Cosmetic Center, Laslie Bauman said, “Basically, if your mother had them, you’re probably going to have them” to hint that family history can also be a part of stretch marks causes. Well, now we know that some of us get stretch marks because genetic factors play a role on how we get them, just as it is with cellulite causes. For this, you can use a highly effective cream such as Revitol Stretch Mark Removal Cream to eliminate them fast.
- The most common stretch mark cause is when your skin is stretched more than usual and leaving a stretch mark to appear because of the broken fibers on the underneath skin. This means that stretch marks are typically a type of scarring, only taking different colors such as silver, white, red, purple, pink, brown, dark brown or even faded.
- Pregnancy stretch marks have their own unique cause. Of the many causes of stretch marks, a growing baby in the belly is known to be a reason for the stretching of the skin leading to the development and occurrence of stretch marks on stomach. However, pregnancy and rapid weight gain could also account to what causes stretch marks on legs, things, arms, buttocks, breasts and so on.
- What causes stretch marks in men? Rapid weight gain is yet another of the causes of stretch marks that is common in both men and women. People who go on a lose-weight-fast regime are likely to end up with stretch marks, although these can fade slowly over time, but not disappear forever on their own. Learning how to lose weight safely can help you prevent stretch marks that occur during rapid weight loss or gain.
- Underlying health conditions have also been found to be some of the causes of stretch marks in a small percentage of people. Widespread stretch marks on the body could be an indicator of Cushing’s disease, a rare genetic disorder. Adrenal gland diseases and disorders, use of topical steroids and taking oral corticosteroids have also been identified as the causes that can spread all through the body.
- What causes stretch marks in bodybuilders? Rapid muscle growth and toning of the body contribute to the causes of stretch marks in bodybuilders. Such marks can be seen on the areas that experience rapid activity of muscle growth and fat loss, such as shoulders, belly, legs, thighs and even butt.
- During puberty, various body parts develop quite quickly. That growth in spurts can cause stretch marks on shoulders, back (for pubescent males), hips, thighs and breasts (for pubescent girls). Now we have an answer to people who ask why do I get stretch marks during adolescence.
What Stretch Marks Look Like
Normally, stretch marks do not have any signs or symptoms, though depending on the various causes of stretch marks and their types, a visual characteristic appearance is definitely notable. If you have not had stretch marks before, and you have some marks on the body, well, marks that look like stretch marks, then it is possible that you might have gotten some. Teens always ask me: what do stretch marks look like? Well, it is important to note that stretch marks will initially appear to be raised pink to purple lines that are longitudinally arranged over the lateral upper thighs, breasts, inner arms, abdomen and even on legs.
After some time, the purplish-pink color will lighten up and the stretch marks may start appearing as silvery lines on your skin. Stretch marks may look similar to a fading scar. Professional doctors normally term the purplish-pink stretch marks as striae rubra, while the silvery stretch mark lines are called striae albae. Dark-complexioned people or African Americans can also have stretch marks, and their stretch mark causes are also the same. In them, they will appear as dark brown lines, also termed as striae nigrae.
Types of Stretch Marks
In a general sense, there are two types of stretch marks. Red stretch marks and white stretch marks. Despite the different causes of stretch marks, we can classify them using two different criteria. So, in this article, we will look at the causes of stretch marks of different kinds, starting with the two basic types: red and white stretch marks. We will move on to look at the different types of stretch marks depending on the body part they are found, see a few specific causes of stretch marks on that particular part and anything unique worth noting.
Red Stretch Marks
Red stretch marks are typically at an early development stage. Normally, the fibers beneath your skin are freshly getting torn, causing the redness. Therefore, the causes of stretch marks at this initial stage is the rapid increase in weight that stretches your skin in that area. Red stretch marks are easily noticed and one can think they are getting injured on their skin if the reddening is too visible. Sometimes, red stretch marks manifest themselves as purple lines on the skin. Their exact color will depend with the hue or complexion of your skin. Some people see them as pink stretch marks.
White Stretch Marks
You can simply wonder: what are the causes of stretch marks, specifically white ones? Well, they all start from being red, purple or pink stretch marks, then age up and become white or silver stretch marks. Look at stretch marks pictures and you will note that these are distinct depending on skin color.
The difference between red stretch marks and white stretch marks does not lie in the way they appear only. Color is sure the immediate distinction parameter here, but the truth is that the causes of stretch marks – white ones for this case – is age of the stretch marks themselves. Once they take a long time on the body, red stretch marks become more established and become less receptive to even some of the best stretch marks creams, lotions, oils and other methods of stretch marks treatments and removal.
Red stretch marks on the other hand are somewhat fresh and young. They are at an early stage of development. The causes of stretch marks, red ones at this time, are generally diet, rapid weight gain and pregnancy. Red stretch marks are highly receptive to stretch marks removal methods such as use of stretch marks creams, oils, vitamins, laser treatment and even microdermabrasion. Note that to remove white stretch marks, you may need surgery.
Stretch Marks on Stomach
What are the causes of stretch marks on stomach? Quite an easy and tough question – all at the same time. Can men get stretch marks on the stomach too? Hilarious, isn’t it? Stretch marks on stomach are quite the commonest skin beauty problem for many people, especially women. But, the question is, can men really get stretch marks on stomach. Yes, they can! Obesity could be the pointer to that. Obese men gain weight rapidly on their bodies and can develop stomach stretch marks easily just as they would on other parts of the body such as thighs, underarms, shoulders and so on.
On the other hand, the causes of stretch marks on stomach for women are quite widely known. Weight gain and even loss, pregnancy (see pregnancy lines below) and hormonal changes are the major causes of stretch marks on the stomach for women. The skin stretches leaving these mild scars or stretch marks on the stomach region. As discussed above, stretch marks on stomach can be red or white depending on the stage of development.
So, what are pregnancy lines? Some people call them zebra stripes or tiger stripes on the stomach. Pregnancy lines are simply pregnancy stretch marks that occur when a woman is pregnant. The belly expands as the child grows. There could be other causes of stretch marks in pregnant women, since some of them might not even develop pregnancy lines on their bellies. With a stretch mark free pregnancy, you could also end up with after pregnancy stretch marks. Those may also be referred to as pregnancy lines.
As you develop pregnancy lines on your body, you will note that other parts of the body such as legs, underarms, thighs and hips get stretch marks too. The causes of stretch marks in this sense might be related to weight gain during pregnancy.
Stretch Marks on Thighs, Arms, Breasts, Buttocks and Hips
You may already know the causes of stretch marks in a general sense. As already discussed, the stretch mark causes may not be specific as such. For stretch marks on breasts, teen girls and pregnant women are likely to experience stretch marks on breasts. For this case, the causes of stretch marks are narrowed down to growth and development of the breasts as well as hormonal changes. Stretch marks on breasts can also turn out to be red or white, depending on their age. The causes of stretch marks on thighs, arms, hips and even shoulders remain the same – rapid growth and weight gain.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers about Causes of Stretch Marks
In my own research and experiences with people who have had stretch marks, I have been asked quite many questions that relate to what causes stretch marks. Here are a few of them and what I have found out as the answers to the questions on stretch mark causes.
Can Guys Get Stretch Marks?
Absolutely! Men get stretch marks when they gain weight rapidly. Bodybuilding stretch marks, however are caused when there is fast muscle mass growth and development on different parts of the body. Bodybuilding stretch marks occur mostly on shoulders, legs and upper arms.
How Do We Get White Stretch Marks?
White stretch marks occur after red stretch marks develop on the body and age with time. This does not mean that the causes of stretch marks are unique for white stretch marks or even red stretch marks.
Why Do People Get Stretch Marks?
All people grow. Some may get stretch marks and some may not. Pregnant women may get stretch marks because of the expanding belly that stretches the skin. The basic reason why people get stretch marks is rapid growth that stretches the skin to form stretch marks scars.
Can You Get Stretch Marks from Scratching?
It depends. How much do you scratch yourself? The skin is a bit resilient and scratching alone is not enough to qualify as one of the causes of stretch marks. All I know is that when your skin stretches, it is likely to become itchy and scratching it can accelerate the development of stretch marks. I would like to hear personal experiences on this one though. Feel free to share your experience on pregnancy and stretch marks, scratching as a cause of stretch marks and any other aspect I might have left out on the causes of stretch marks.
What are the Best Treatments and Remedies for Stretch Mark Removal?
There are very many ways on how to get rid of stretch marks. Here is a list of the most common ones.
- Microdermabrasion for stretch marks removal
- Laser stretch marks removal
- Using creams for stretch marks removal
- Herbal remedies for stretch marks removal. These are also called natural stretch marks treatments.
- Using vitamins for stretch marks treatment
- Mederma therapy for stretch marks removal
- Lotions for stretch marks removal and oils for stretch marks removal.
Watch the Video below for a Summary of Stretchmarks Causes (not sure if the accent is clear)
More on Stretch Marks
- Stretch Marks on Breasts – Special Removal Solutions
- Stretch Marks Treatment – Methods of Getting Rid of Stretch Marks
- How to Avoid and Prevent Pregnancy Stretch Marks
- Laser Stretch Mark Removal Treatment – Getting Rid of Stretch Marks
- Natural Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
- Best Stretch Mark Creams, Lotions and Oils – Reviews
React to the causes of stretch marks…leave a reply below.