Best Nail Polish Remover – Acetone, Homemade, Natural, For Gel Nails, Ingredients, Acetone-free, How to Make, Pros, Cons, Tips, Brands
Choosing the best nail polish remover is no easy task. You need to know the ingredients to look for, the pros and cons of each type of remover, what works best for what lacquer and even alternatives to go for. Natural nail polish removers are also competing for the top spot. Brands like Shellac, Zoya, OPI, Sally Hansen and many others are also flexing their muscle in manufacturing top nail polish removers. Now that you have learnt how to apply different types of fingernail polishes, it is time to learn of the best removers.
Nail Polish Remover Ingredients
Looking at the label for ingredients used does not end with anti-aging products or cellulite creams alone. You will have to check for the ingredients of the best nail polish remover too. Many of the ingredients in cutex removers can be highly toxic especially if not balanced well. Here are ingredients found in most of the best nail polish removers:
- Ethyl Acetate
- Propylene Carbonate
When you are talking the best organic nail polish remover, or natural nail polish removers, the above ingredients, especially acetone may not feature.
3 Types of Nail Polish Removers – Acetone, Acetone-free, Oil Based
The three types of nail polish removers are: oil based nail polish remover, acetone based and acetone-free removers. Sometimes, water-based removers are also referenced as one of the types. Let’s look at the pros and cons of the commonly and readily available types.
Acetone Nail Polish Removers
Acetone nail polish is considered the best because the solvent is powerful. However, most people are shifting from acetone nail polish removers to those that have natural ingredients.
Pros of acetone nail polish removers: It is very fast and efficient; can remove stubborn fingernail lacquers such as glitter nail polishes; works best on fake nails.
Cons of acetone nail polish removers: It has a very strong and unpleasant chemical scent; it is harsh to the nails and skin; it poses the danger of being toxic; acetone fingernail paint remover is extremely drying. Can leave your nail beds very fractious and brittle; highly flammable.
Acetone-based removers are said to work best when you want to do heavy duty fingernail paint removing. This nail polish remover on wood is not the best thing. So, use it far away from wood, otherwise you will have difficult-to-remove stains.
Non-Acetone Nail Polish Removers/Acetone-Free Removers
Non-acetone/acetone-free nail polish removers are sometimes preferred to the acetone one. These removers use other solvents other than acetone. Some of them use natural solvents that have no side effects.
Pros of Acetone-free removers: Have a gentle smell; less harmful; some contain vitamins to improve fingernail health; very gentle to the skin, with less drying effect, if any.
Cons of Acetone-free Removers: Not very powerful to remove glitter polishes; they take longer to do the job.
Best Nail Polish Remover
Here are some of the best/top rated fingernail lacquer removers. We’ll list some that are common, natural ones, alternative nail polish removers and removers for gel nails.
- Deborah Lipmann the Stripper To Go (mixed reviews about it)
- Sephora Smooth Nail Polish Remover, $9.50
- Cutex Advanced Revival Nail Polish Remover (acetone free), costs about $2.99
- Zoya Remove Plus Nail Polish Remover, $9.99 (good for regular polishes but not glitter fingernails; has nice floral scent, moisturizes according to the many top reviews)
- Priti NYC Soy Polish Remover, $22.50 (most reviews recommend it as one of the best nail polish removers)
- Essie Naturally Clean Purifying Nail Polish Remover, $6 (Known to work in seconds! Read reviews before buying.)
- Priti NYC soy nail polish remover wipes, $9.99 (10 wipes) (top rated as the best, good moisturizing effect)
- Butter London the Remover Collection Trio, $19 (mixed reviews, bad and good) – Ensure you read reviews before buying it.
- Sephora Express Nail Polish Remover, $8 (said to evaporate too fast before even using; mixed reviews though)
- OPI nail polish remover (reviews vote it up, known to work best on shimmer nails, glow nails and even metallic nails)
- Skinfood Nail Remover Jelly
- Zoya nail polish remover
We also found BestCovery with their list of the 5 best nail polish removers products. They had ranked quite a few of the fingernail polishes with their best features according to the labels and customer reviews. Here is their top nail polish removers list.
- O.P.I Original Polish Remover (Designed for natural nails and works fast. Has moisturizer and Aloe Vera)
- Graham Professional HandsDown Soak-off Gel Nail Wraps 100 Count (reviews point to it giving salon quality results of nail polish removal)
- Sally Hansen Extra Strength Polish Remover for All Nail Types (considered the best nail polish remover for its vitamins and moisturizers)
- Karma Organic Nail Polish Remover (top rated for soy based ingredients, and a sweet scent)
- Cutex Non-Acetone Instant Nail Polish Remover Jar
Now for the Best Alternative Nail Polish Removers – Natural Nail Paint Removers
- Honeybee Gardens Odorless Nail Polish Removers
- No-Miss Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover
- SpaRitual Fluent Extra Strength Conditioning Lacquer Remover
- Suncoat Natural Fingernail Polish Remover
- Tate’s Natural Miracle Odorless Fingernail Polish Remover
Tips for Choosing the Best Nail Polish Remover
When choosing the best nail polish remover, whether it is natural, acetone based or acetone-free, ensure that you read customer reviews to about it. The reviews will give you a hint toward a top quality remover to choose.
Acetone-free removers are said to be the best because they do not have the side effects like headaches, fatigue, dizziness, vomiting, irritation, dermatitis, nausea and even abdominal pain.
Choose water-based or mineral based removers. These are natural ingredients and act as alternatives or substitutes to chemical compounds found in most fingernail lacquer removers.
Gel Nail Polish Remover – Best Picks
Gel nail polish removers require special attention. Removing gel fingernail polish is an art. There are also the best gel nail polish removers that you can consider. Here are some of the best nail lacquer removers for gel nails.
- Gelish Soak Off nail removers
- OPI Expert Touch Removers
- Opi Expert Touch Removal Wraps
- OPI Polish Remover
- Super Nail Pure Acetone
- Zoya Remove Plus Nail Polish Remover
- IBD Nail Wipes- Lint Free
- Cutex Polish Remover Pads
- Harmony Gelish Soak-off Gel Polish Structure Gel
Again, read extensive reviews before finding something that will work for you. Here is a detailed step by step procedure to remove gel nail polish.
How to Make Homemade Nail Polish Remover – Natural Nail Polish Removers
Homemade nail polish remover is said to be safe, healthy and inexpensive. With such pros, it stands to beat commercial nail polish removers in the market. Even the top brands of nail polish remover may sometimes contain harsh chemicals. These destroy fingernails. With such side effects in mind, why don’t you try homemade nail polish remover. You have learnt how to make fingernail polishes at home, so why not try removers too? Here are steps to make the best homemade nail polish removers, also called natural nail polish removers.
You will use natural ingredients to make the best fingernail polish removers at home by following DIY steps. Lemon juice and vinegar are the natural ingredients you will use if you know how to make nail polish removers at home.
- Pour white vinegar into a bowl.
- Add lemon juice of equal amount.
- Stir to mix the two ingredients.
- There you have it – your homemade/natural nail polish removers.
Tips for Use: It might not work fast as acetone based fingernail varnish removers but it sure is safe on your nails. Dip a cotton ball in warm water, then dampen it with your natural/homemade nail polish remover. Place on the fingernails and press on there for about 30 seconds, then wipe off the nail paint. If you did apply several layers of nail polish, it might take a bit longer to remove it completely using homemade polish remover.
You can also use alcohol as an alternative ingredient in making nail polish removers at home. Simply dampen nail polish remover pads with alcohol and follow the normal nail polish removal procedure to get rid of the varnish on your fingernails. Alcohol is natural and has antibacterial effects so it can prevent nail fungus. Other people on how to make nail polish removers recommend acetone based perfumes and even some brands of toothpaste. If you have tried these in making nail polish remover alternative, please comment below and let us know of your experience.
See More on Fashion Nail Colors:
- Best Gelish Nail Polish Kits, Tips on How to Do and Remove
- Best Nude Nail Polish Colors Perfect for Your Skin Tone
- Neon Nail Polish Colors, Best Brands and How to Wear Neon Nails
- Best Pink Nail Polish Brands, Shades and How to Wear Pink Nails
- Best Red Nail Polish, Shades and How to Make and Wear Red Polish
- Clear Nail Polish Uses and Best Brands to Buy
- Best Green Nail Polish and How to Wear the Trend
- Best Black Nail Polish and How to Wear
More on Nail Colors and Season Picks
- Matte Black Nail Polish – How to Make and Where to Buy
- Holographic Nail Polish – Top Brands and How to Make Your Own
- Best Gold Nail Polish Brands, Types and Ideas
- White Nail Polish Trend for Your Nails and Best Brands to Try
- Great Nail Polish Storage Ideas, Containers and DIY Solutions
- Best Nail Polish Racks and How to Make Yours at Home
- Best Non Toxic Nail Polish and Removers for Kids and Adults
More on Nail Lacquers and Trends
- Best Chrome Nail Polish, Silver and Gold Shade and Where to Buy
- Sally Hansen Nail Polish Strips, How to Make Yours, Wear and Remove
- Best Metallic Nail Polish, Trends and Where to Buy
- Best Nail Polish Brands Reviews – For Kids and Pregnant Women
- How to Apply and Remove, Do Designs of Acrylic Nails
- Gel Nail Polish – Apply, Remove, UV, LED, OPI Kits, Colors, Soak-Off Guide
- How to Remove Gel Nail Polish at Home, Tips, and Ideas
- Glitter Nail Polish – How to Make, Tips for Gold, Silver Sparkly Nail Colors
- Matte Nail Polish – How to Apply, Make, Black, DIY Top Coat, Opi, Zoya
- Crackle Nail Polish – How to Apply, Sally Hansen and Trends
- Glow in the Dark Nail Polish – Colors, DIY Homemade, Essie, Tips
- Magnetic Nail Polish – Best Trends, Tips, How to Apply, Designs, Colors
Which nail polish remover is the best? Share in the comments below.